What is Cyber Essentials?
The process of certification has been designed to provide a respected standard in cyber security. Created by the Government and relevant industry bodies, the Cyber Essentials scheme was created to help UK businesses improve their defences against cyber attacks and at the same time demonstrate their commitment to cyber security.
Most common threats
The Cyber Essentials scheme addresses the most common Internet-based threats to cyber security — particularly:
- Hacking — exploiting known vulnerabilities in Internet-connected devices, using widely available tools and techniques
- Phishing — and other ways of tricking users into installing or executing a malicious application
- Password guessing — manual or automated attempts to log on from the Internet, by guessing passwords
Proven to meet high standards
In order to achieve the accreditation, we had to demonstrate that our IT systems and software met a detailed list of requirements relating to the installation, configuration and maintenance of our IT.
- Use a firewall to secure your internet connection: you must configure and use a firewall to protect all your devices, particularly those that connect to public or other untrusted Wi-Fi networks.
- Choose the most secure settings for your devices and software: only necessary software, accounts and apps are used.
- Control who has access to your data and services: you must control access to your data through user accounts, that administration privileges are only given to those that need them, and that what an administrator can do with those accounts is controlled.
- Protect yourself from viruses and other malware: you must implement at least one of the approaches listed above to defend against malware.
- Keep your devices and software up to date: you must keep your devices, software and apps up to date.
Advantages of certification
The scheme helps organisations to protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of data stored on their devices which connect to the Internet. Using the Cyber Essentials logo highlights that we take cyber security seriously and demonstrates our commitment to data protection.
Want to know more?
If you are committed to IT and data protection and would like to find out more about Cyber Essentials get in touch. We can help you to prepare for certification and guide you through the process.
If you’d like to discuss this further, call 01482 210999 or email [email protected]